Re: Oracle & SAP

From: HTrieu <htrieu_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/30

  The previous message was not to fiendly to the SAP folks. Become very familr with SAPDBA and the tasks that it manages for you. Reorganizations of table's, tablespaces, tablspace growth, table/tablespace analysis. Use OSS to look up additional information specific to the OS. UNIX limits with files greater than 2GB you can use a utility from SAP called R3chop to split the export file. NT has its added "fetaures" as well.

  Within SAP you can write an ABAP to monitor the system tablespace, extents, etc. using call function that will let you execute the SQL calls you are already comfortable with. Transaction DB02 gives you growth of the tablespace and lets
you analyze the tables within a tablespace.

  My Oracle experience is with Oracle 6. I WISH I knew the Oracle Views a little better so that I could use Oracle tools as well. For monitoring use what
you are comfortable with. For administration use SAP tools. You NEED to learn about the table structures. Review online help for defintions of a POOL table, transparent table, cluster table, structure...

  Last SAP runs VERY large applications. My site has a 700 GB database on UNIX.
We use Oracle with RAW devices. We have very good UNIX folks that know how to communicate with our technical folks withsole respect to DB growth. It works very well.

  FYI, Legato, ADSM, and OMNIBACK are the backup tools I have used as well as brbackup(compiled cpio). I have been able to recover point in time with applying the archive redo logs. I used online and offline backups.

  Last the only time the redo logs/ large rollback segments cause problems is when you have to perform maintenance(ie. reorg.). SAP has published an OSS note for
performing maintenance tasks like this for SMP systems, large rollback segment and disable archiving....

Personal Opinion, you are ahead of most BASIS consultants because you know the RDBMS already. In th real world you will find tables and their indexes on the same disk because "one of those folks who like silly traits" set up the system.

Good Luck!!! Received on Mon Mar 30 1998 - 00:00:00 CST