Oracle 7.3.3 and Large bitmap files

From: Guy Thibault <gthibaul_at_globetrotter.qc.ca>
Date: 1998/03/28

Dear all,

I use Oracle 7.3.3 to store technical POF drawings (typically 1mb or less bitmaps).
I have built a C++ application using CRecordSet and ODBC to access my database. So far, I get OK performances on read but things get slower and
slower when I try to write larger files!

A 50k file is inserted into a paradox table or on oracle table within the same
amount of time. But inserting a 700k file is 5 times slower with Oracle!!!

I used a pctfree of 5, and pctused of 75 since this table is almost only

interted into, no updates.

What is going on? Is it a parameters of the init.ora file I must set? The column
of my table containning the BLOB is a long raw data type. My OS is NT 4.0
and my server is a rather large PC with 142Mb RAM, pentium pro 200.

Any ideas what to do to try and speed up large insert into Oracle? My only option so far is to start a thread to perform the insert, and let
the work occurs in background while my user prepares the next insert. It's weird, since it works fine with Paradox 7!!!

Thanks all.

PS. Please replay by email as well as to the list.

Guy Thibault
gthibaul_at_globetrotter.qc.ca Received on Sat Mar 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST