Re: Interesting (painful) Migration Problem (Nov 7.2.2.4.10 -> NT 7.3.3.0.0)

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/27

In article <351b2344.186281702_at_news.mindspring.com>,  <nassif_at_mndsprng.cm> wrote:
>hi,
>
>We've got an interesting and painful migration in progress.
>
>We're moving a ~8 Gigabyte 7.2.2.4.10 Database from a Novell 4.11
>server to a 7.3.3.0.0 NT 4.0 Svc Pk 3 server.
>
>Yeah, I know, we're insane.
>
>Anyone got any experience with this?

Well, I admit I haven't done that particular insanity. But I am obsessively and compulsively compelled to say, if the import is too slow, to consider dumping to a flat file (ie, spool and select statements) and use SQL*Loader on tables you've pre-created. Assuming you don't have too psychotic of a data set.

Yes this is more work than exp/imp, but it may require less Prozac if it is faster overall. Look around for or write scripts for dumping to flat files. Be sure to order tables for relational integrity if you are using it.

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com