Re: Oracle & ANSI SQL

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/27

A copy of this was sent to dinnis_at_ct1.nai.net (if that email address didn't require changing) On 26 Mar 1998 17:45:42 GMT, you wrote:

>Scott Dinnis <dinnis_at_ct1.nai.net> wrote in article
><351A8A02.43B8D801_at_ct1.nai.net>...
>
>> Am I correct in my knowledge that Oracle 7.x only supports ANSI SQL-89 ?
>> Does Oracle 8 support the 92 standard ? My problem is that I want to use
>> a CASE statement and Oracle 7.3 does not want anything to do with it.
>> CASE is part of SQL-92 but not SQL-89. Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Try the DECODE function. It can act like a CASE statement for some
>purposes.
>
>Chris
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
>City of Washington Pipe Band
>http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html

Oracle 7 is Entry FIPS 127-2 compliant (sql 92 Entry level)

There are various levels of sql-92 compliance.

AFAIK and according to NIST (ftp://speckle.ncsl.nist.gov/vpl/html/sql_vpl.htm), no one has tested above entry level. Every vendor supports pieces of the standard above entry level (there are syntactical features of Oracle that are above entry level). Oracle is fully sql-92 entry level compliant.

You may order copies of the SQL-92 specification from ANSI (http://www.ansi.org/cat_top.html). It spells out what syntax is in each level.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Mar 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST