Re: Supporting Oracle and MSSQL simultaneously

From: Jim Smith <james-detg.smith_at_ubs.com>
Date: 1998/03/27

Mark Michaelis wrote:

> - Oracle does not support the PRINT statement. (Anyone know of a
> replacement?)

Look at the DBMS_FILE package.

> - SQL Server requires SELECT @x = 1 when assigning a variable. Oracle
> requires SELECT 1 INTO x FROM ...
> - Other stuff I haven't encountered yet.

Actually Oracle has an assignment operator so you can say

x:=1 ;

select 1 into x from dual (dual is a single-row,single column table provided for this purpose) is old-fashioned (oracle 6 and earlier) and *very* inefficient.

As for your general problem, the only way to maintain database independence is to stick to common features which means not using any of the cleverer features of the DBMS Received on Fri Mar 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST