Re: EXPORT / character set - question

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/27

In article <35181968.2929522_at_www.sigov.si>, Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si> wrote:
>On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:56:25 GMT, schueren_at_mpi-fg-koeln.mpg.de (Manuel
>Schueren) wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>We've created a database (ORACLE 7 Server) with the "character set
>>'WE8ISO8859P1'"-option, but the export starts with the message "Export
>>done in US7ASCII character set".
>>
>>Can anyone tell me why and how to export with the database charcter
>>set?
>
>WHY:
>Because with your current setup you'll loose all 8-bit characters.

Not necessarily. I was somewhat surprised to learn that Oracle will attempt to convert. This may be a lossy conversion, or not, depending on the exact characters. See the National Language references in the Server Utilities manual for details. I thought for sure all those accents would have been gone... :)

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com