Re: Copying existing instance to create a new instance

From: Chuck Isaacson <ccisaac_at_mtu.edu>
Date: 1998/03/27

Make sure the DEV database was down when you did the copys. If DEV was not shutdown normal you may get the error you are experiencing.

HTH Chuck ccisaac_at_mtu.edu

raman batra (rrbatra_at_feist.com) wrote:
: Make sure you are setting the ORACLE_SID to TEST AFTER quitting server
: manager.
: Also, make sure your script renames all the copied files (in the header
: blocks)
: to TEST. I believe in your create control file script, you can rename
: the database
: name.
:
:
: ORACLE DBA wrote:
: >
: > Sean,
: >
: > May I suggest that instead of the method described below that you
: > create a new
: > database called DEV via DDL, create the tablespaces via DDL and then
: > do a full import
: > into DEV using an export from TEST.
: >
: > step 1) create database command using new initDEV
: >
: > step 2) create tablespaces commands
: > step 3) imp FULL=Y
: >
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > Sean Phillips wrote:
: >
: > Hello Guru's,
: >
: > I have been trying to make a new copy of my 'DEV' instance
: > called 'TEST'
: > on an HP-UX machine. I have done the following:
: >
: > 1. copied all my datafiles to proper new locations
: >
: > 2. SVRMGRL> alter database backup controlfile to trace ;
: >
: > 3. modified my trace file (called create_TEST.sql) , and
: > changed all
: > references of DEV to TEST
: >
: > 4. modified initTEST.ora and configTEST.ora files -- they
: > now have
: > correct parameters
: >
: > 5. shutdown the DEV instance
: >
: > 6. run oraenv to change ORACLE_SID to TEST
: >
: > 7. SVRMGRL> connect internal
: > --- here I receive a message that says
: > connected to idle
: > instance ---
: >
: > 8. SVRMGRL> @create_TEST.sql
: >
: > When I run this script to create the controlfiles for TEST,
: > the scripts
: > blows huge chunks. There is a message about 'cannot start
: > already-running Oracle'. Oracle is not running -- no other
: > instance is
: > running, the listener is stopped, the concmgr is stopped,
: > yet I get that
: > message. HELP!!!
: >
: > Has anyone else run into these kinds of problems while
: > trying to copy an
: > instance? I am pretty certain that my script to create the
: > new instance
: > is correct. Any hints will greatly appreciated.
: >
: >
: >
: > --
: > Only interested in San Francisco or Vancouver job markets.
: > Please respond to oradba_at_erols.com
: >
: >