Re: disk space

From: BobH <b-horton_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/03/26

Ed Lufker wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Is there a formula to calculate how much disk space you are going
> to use once you have entered data into all tables.
>
> thanks
> eddie lufker

If you want to do a ball-park.

avg_row_len = (max_length of all columns) + column_overhead + row_overhead
ball_park = (avg+row_len * number of rows)

(row_overhead = 8)
(column overhead= number_of_cols (length byte)

Note for max_length of all, consider
For numeric columns, divide its max length by 2.

this gets me close, when blue-skying a table's space requirement. For actual,
I have Oracle's formula in an Excel spreadsheet. I could forward to you if needed.
bobh Received on Thu Mar 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST