Re: [Q] about hiding command line password in UNIX

From: Bill Eggers <beggers_at_cns.eds.com>
Date: 1998/03/26

Sanjay T. Mathew wrote:

.

> # TITLE : SQL*Plus Invoking Utility
> #
> # MODULE : sqp
> #
> # AUTHOR : Sanjay Mathew
> #
> # Overview: : Major Funcitionality hides password from ps command.
> # This script assumes the variables dbuser,dbpasswd and cur_env(database_name)
> # are already set up by the calling program.
> # The script can accept upto three agrgument. If more is needed
.
.
.

The problem with doing this is that you can see the user's environment variables dbuser, dbpasswd by typing

/usr/ucb/ps -auxwwe

(at least on Sun Solaris). I believe any BSD version of ps will do this. we have a slightly different version of your script, which reads the username and password from a file instead. This way, the file can be secured from other users looking at it.

#! /bin/sh

sqlplus -s << EOF
`cat /file/containing/connect/string`
echo