Re: Killing oracle processes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/26

clyrio_at_hotmail.com wrote in message <6f8ci0$sv1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I would like to understand why oracle 7 creates the user database
>connection processes with uid=oracle7, ignoring the uid of the
>original user who opened the connection.

Because Oracle forks a process for that client connection. Because Oracle is the uid for the server process, the child process will have the same uid.

Take at joining V$SESSION s and V$PROCESS p (p.addr = s.paddr). The column s.PROCESS contains process id of the client process (if it is a Unix process it will have a Unix PID). The column p.SPID contains the Unix PID of the child that was forked by Oracle.

>In this situation my users can't kill their own processes. Another
 important
>thing is all connections (local and remote) are made through sqlnet v2.

You need to have ALTER SYSTEM privs to kill any task if you're use the ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION command.

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Mar 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST