Re: IFILE: Which initialization parameters go here?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/26

In article <3516C014.191BC3B7_at_KNOTES.KODAK.COM>, Zdenka Spoljaric <928330N_at_KNOTES.KODAK.COM> wrote:
>IFILE should have only those parameters which are common for database
>regardless of the mode you are running it. This are parameters which you
>apply always ( like db_block, dump_dest_...,)

To say the same a little more clearly:

config<sid> should have parameters that are the same between instances. init<sid> should have parameters that vary between instances.

Joe Greene's Oracle DBA Survival Guide has a pretty good method of organizing a single init.ora, if you want to go that route. It's really up to the dba how to organize it. Having had to figure out all sorts of strange situations, I would advise not to stray too far from Oracle's default structure, and document what you do change, even simple file linking.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com