Re: BMC Patrol (Need your comments)

From: Barry Nance <barryn_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/03/25

Richard Creasey wrote in message <351a63d7.7155269_at_news.mindspring.com>...
> I'm soliciting for your comments on BMC Patrol as a Database
>monitoring and data managment tool for Oracle & SQL Server.
>Please tell me what you suggest for a Enterprize DBMS Mgt. tool.

I reviewed BMC Software's PATROL series of products, Platinum Technology's Enterprise DBA (along with other Platinum tools), and Tivoli Systems' TME 10 for an upcoming article in Network Computing. I focused just on these products' abilities to help manage databases across an enterprise.

Both BMC's PATROL and Platinum's DBVision are useful monitoring tools. Tivoli's TME 10 database modules are fairly recent and don't monitor as many parameters as BMC's PATROL or Platinum's DBVision does.

BMC has excellent schema and content manipulation tools to go with its monitoring capability, while Platinum has all three categories - user administration, schema and content tools, and monitoring. Tivoli has monitoring and user administration, but no schema/content manipulation.

The article will appear in either the April 15th or the May 1st issue of Network Computing, I think.

Barry Nance Received on Wed Mar 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CST