Re: Problem with Rollback segment

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/03/25

The SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT .... statement is valid only for one transaction only. Once you COMMIT a transaction and then start a new one, you will have to use that statement again; otherwise, ORACLE chooses a rollback segment for the next transaction randomly.

I would suggest that you do the following:

  1. Shutdown the ORACLE instance.
  2. Modify the INIT.ORA file as follows:
    • comment out the ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS entry and add a new one: ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS=R08
    • comment out the TRANSACTIONS_PER_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT and add a new one with a value so that the ratio of the TRANSACTIONS/TRANSACTIONS_PER_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT<=1 (You can change both or either parameter). This last change is required to make sure that ORACLE brings online only one rollback segment. On instance startup, ORACLE attempts to bring online a number of rollback segments at least equal to the value of the above ratio from the pool of defined rollback segments, even when they are not listed in the INIT.ORA file.
  3. Startup the instance and open the database.
  4. Make sure that only the SYSTEM rollback segment and R08 are online (SELECT segment_name, status FROM dba_rollback_segs).
  5. If everythings pans out, run your query, and good luck (cross your fingers, too, just to make sure !).

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu