Re: Oracle configurations on NT

From: Jimmy Yu <jyu_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/25

In article <6eoe50$1re$1_at_sunrise.pg.gda.pl>, "Piotr Kolodziej" <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl> wrote:
>>I have three questions.
>>Is it posible to run parallel server on NT? (I don't think so)
>
>Probably not yet.
>You have to have NT Cluster Server & Oracle Parallel Server that
>supports it. Currently NT Cluster supports two machine cluster
>sharing disks.

OPS is available on NT for 7.3.3, 7.3.4, and 8.0.4 - to run it, you must be running on a certified hardware platform (i.e., Compaq, Dell, DG, NEC, etc...) with certified cluster OSD components installed for that specific hardware. These cluster OSD components do not ship on the Oracle CD, but must be obtained from one of the certified vendors for their given platform.

Most of the certified configurations are 4-node clusters, shared SCSI using either Adaptec 2940UW or 2944UW with appropriate SCSI RAID drives and either 100 Base-T ethernet or Tandem ServerNet for the interconnect. Follow the cluster links in http://ntsolutions.oracle.com/index.htm for more info.

>>Is it possible to run multithreaded server on NT?
>
>No.
>But it has no reason to run it.
>NT natively supports threads and Oracle on NT uses it.
>So you have one oracle process per instance which has many threads:
>PMON, SMON, /etc and threads similiar to user processes in UNIX.
>Advantages are obvious --- for example memory savings.

MTS is available in 8.0.4 on NT - it is true that Oracle on NT takes advantage of NT threads by running each user shadow (foreground) process. However, each thread still commits a 1 MB (NT default) stack space, and has an allocated user PGA area - this does all add up. Running MTS on NT has the same memory and resource savings benefits that you would see on UNIX by using fewer shared servers instead of the default dedicated servers.