Re: EXPORT / character set - question

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1998/03/24

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:56:25 GMT, schueren_at_mpi-fg-koeln.mpg.de (Manuel Schueren) wrote:

>Hi!
>
>We've created a database (ORACLE 7 Server) with the "character set
>'WE8ISO8859P1'"-option, but the export starts with the message "Export
>done in US7ASCII character set".
>
>Can anyone tell me why and how to export with the database charcter
>set?

WHY:
Because with your current setup you'll loose all 8-bit characters.

HOW:
Set your NLS_LANG envuronment variable in the OS environment from where you are starting your export session. If you don't set it, Oracle takes the default setting AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII, and I belive this is causing your problems. If you are on Unix, use something like (it depends on the type of shell you are using): $ NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1
$ export NLS_LANG

If you are on MSWin 32-bit, set the NLS_LANG in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE). If you are on MSWin 16-bit, set it in your ORACLE.INI .

If you are on .......

>Thanks in advance,
>Manuel Schueren

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Mar 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST