Re: Accessing another user's table without qualifying table name with the owner-name

From: Brett Neumeier <random_at_nospam.com>
Date: 1998/03/24

Atul Deshmukh <atul_at_emessages.com> wrote:

> How is it posssible to access another user's table without qualifying table
> name with the owner-name.

> eg.
> there's a user "User1" that has the table "Table1".
> Now, if there's another user "User2" that needs access to User1.Table1 ...
> how can it be accomplished?

> One of the ways would be to create a public synonym for User1.Table1 and
> then grant access to that synonym for "User2". [..]

Well, actually you would be granting access to the /table/ to User2. The /synonym/ is accessible to everyone automatically, but the /table/ can only be seen by users with access to it.

> in our scenario that solution is not feasible since all other users will
> also be able to access this public synonym. Is there any other way to
> accomplish the same thing?

I am not sure why the solution will not work. Simply grant privileges on the table to the users and/or roles which should be able to access it; the existence of the public synonym will not matter.

If you /really/ care about this for some reason, you can certainly create /private/ synonyms for User1's tables, in User2's schema. But you will still need to grant privileges on User1's tables to User2!

--
-brett neumeier