Re: Sybase/Informix/Oracle can strike GOLD

From: jeffd <jeffd_at_allensysgroup.com>
Date: 1998/03/23

Everything in all posts is valid, but they seem to overlook the management role of protecting assets.

A manager can't just buy (or not buy) an OS. He or she has to prove that the OS is a supported company in the industry; that it has a business address, a fax number, personnel to answer support and sales questions. Linux would have to be advertising their future enhancements and cooperative development agreements with other software vendors in trade journals to gain acceptance.

Finally, they would have to CHARGE $$$ for on site support. 3rd level management and above really believe that if a company doesn't show a big black line quarterly report that they couldn't really have the income to build a substantial software product that competes in the industry. All these things will come to Linux, but upper management isn't seeing them yet.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a LINUX lover too. I even have my own website (can't publish it here without getting flamed of course). Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST