Re: OWS-08802 when trying to start admin

From: Bruce Myers <bmyers_at_dataprofit.com>
Date: 1998/03/23

Dragisa Krsmanovic wrote:

> When I try to start OWS admin listener on Win NT 4.0
> (Service Pack 3) with 'owsctl start admin' i get:
>
> Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.0.0
> OWS-08802: Oracle Web Listener `admin' does not exist.
>
> After complete reinstall of OWS I still get the same message.
>
> I looked at ORACLE_HOME\ows\admin\ows\website30\httpd_<machine>\owl.cfg
> and 'admin' is there.
>
> What else should I look for ?
> How does OWS know where to look for owl.cfg ?
>
> --
>
> Dragisa Krsmanovic <dragisak_at_eunet.yu>
> <http://solair.eunet.yu/~dragisak>

I had this same problem and found that OWS 3.0 likes to be on a server which is on a domain such as some_domain_name.com instead of some_domain_name (with no further .com, .org etc etc). So in the NT network setup, I changed the domain temporarily to "dataprofit.com", reinstalled the OWS software, and the OWS admin listener worked fine. I then changed the NT domain name back to "dataprofit" (without the .com) and everything worked fine.

The reason behind all this is that OWS looks in the $ORACLE_HOME/OWS/admin/OWS/WEBSITE30\HTTPD_<insert machine & domain name here> directory for the "Admin" directory and associated files. I could not find a way to make the OWS look anywhere else (i.e. without the .COM on the directory name).

I got my answer from Oracle support a month or so ago. Hope this helps.

--
Bruce Myers
Sr. Oracle Database Admin