Re: Need help with Oracle Suite purchase

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/23

chuda_at_eacc.com wrote in message <6evhv0$atu$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>My first cut has the following products:
>1) Oracle Web Server Enterprise Edition with web appln server
>2) Developer/2000
>3) Designer/2000 (Or SapphireWeb)
>4) Programmer/2000
>5) Web Development suite
>6) Image Objects (Power Objects)
>7) SQL Reports 3.0

A biased and personal view follows. :-)

I suggest using Delphi, VB or Powerbuilder (in that order) instead of Developer 2000 if Windows (Win95 and/or NT) is going to be the client distribution platform. Developer/2000 is a pure Oracle front-end development tool. The others development tools are more flexible and addresses a much broader development spectrum. The key of development today is integration and flexibility - both which sadly lacks in Dev/2000. I strongly doubt that you can develop a "Win95 logo" (certified for Win95) application using Dev/2000.

I have had a lot of problems with Oracle's Web Server (OWS) from v1.x up to v2.x when I threw in the towel and used IIS (from Microsoft) instead. I'm not sure how good OWS v3.x is, but I suggest to use IIS. You also can install OWS to run under IIS (it then uses IIS as the web server and adds the required Oracle components to it for Oracle connectivity).

I would not recommend using OLE objects as the interface on a Window client to an Oracle backend. OLE has a very large footprint, is complex, slow and less robust and stable than good old fashioned OCI or even ODBC. With the Enterprise editions of the development tools I mentioned, you get native Oracle SQL*Net support which does not require OLE objects or ODBC for Oracle connectivity.

Final comment - never let technology drive the business. Sure, these computer buzz words and marketing bullshit may sound good, but stick to the basics and make sure that the actual business requirements are addressed before embarking on a quest for state-of-the-art technology. There is a price to pay for being leading edge. ;-)

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST