Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE

From: Brian McCabe <brian_at_mitc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/23

I've had the same problem and changed to using the UTL_FILE package to write output to an O/S file. This can be more insecure than DBMS_OUTPUT (be careful with the init.ora settings in Production) - but gives the added bonus of being able to 'tail -f' the file (if on Unix platform) and see records as they are written, rather than when the buffer fills in DBMS_OUTPUT! Also, you can write seceral different files from one stored proc ( log file, message file, error file, etc...etc..)

Think its only available from 7.3 onwards though...

In article <6es6ms$m5m$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, jkc_at_consultant.com writes
>Hi,
>
>I am writing a PL/SQL which requires printing out many
>rows (using DBMS.OUTPUT.PUT_LINE). The problem I m having is that after
>about 22,000 lines of 80 char line, it stops due to :
>ORA-20000: ORU-10027: buffer overflow, limit of 1000000 bytes.
>
>Does anyone have suggestion how I can overcome this? Or
>am pretty much stuck with this? My next alternative was going to
>be to insert into a temp table then use SQL to spool out.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>John

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

*               B r i a n   M c C a b e                       *
*   M c C A B E   I T   C O N S U L T I N G   L I M I T E D   *
*               Mailto:brian_at_mitc.demon.co.uk                 *
*               http://www.mitc.demon.co.uk                   *
* Location:     Altrincham, Cheshire, United Kingdom          *