Re: SQL*Net2

From: Guus van de Sande <dyntas.nospam_at_wxs.nl>
Date: 1998/03/22

Hi Siu Vinvin,

The situation you describe is not completely clear to me, nevertheless I will try to give you an idea
how things work with to servers and windows client PC's.

there are two possible solutions:

  1. using SQL*Net you should install:
    • SQL*Net client components on each PC
    • a TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA in %ORACLE_HOME%/NETWORK/ADMIN directory on the client PC's
    • a LISTENER.ORA in $ORACLE_HOME /NETWORK/ADMIN directory on both servers
    • Run the Listener process on both servers
    • create user <username> identified by <password>; ( on each database, NOT identified externally !)
    • configure your TCP/IP network that the hosts can be reached from your clients (try ping <HOST> to verify)

With this configuration you can Run SQLPLUS on your windows PC, connect with <username>/password@<instance> without having a UNIX login/password on the servers.

B using terminal emulation and Operating system login's

Install:
- terminal emulation software on your clients (Reflection, Powerterm,
KEAterm .....)
- configure your TCP/IP network that the hosts can be reached from your
clients (try ping <HOST> to verify)
- create OS-account on each <HOST>

As far as I can see you use a combination of the two main solutions. On one database you login via TELNET OS-login and from that connection you try to reach to remote database via a database-link ? This option requires an SQL*Net connection on the servers at least a LISTENER on Server_B and a corresponding TNSNAMES.ORA on server A. Besides that you need a defined database-link at the database- on Server_A to the instance at Server_B.

Hope this will give you an idea.

regards,
Guus van de Sande
indepent Oracle Consultant
at DYNTAS Consultancy BV, the Netherlands Received on Sun Mar 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST