Re: use_ism error on Solaris 2.6

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/21

In article <6es7so$e7p$1_at_wyrm.its.uow.edu.au>, Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au> wrote:
>(Newsgroups: line trimmed to just comp.databases.oracle.server)
>
>In article <6ershd$1bj_at_nnrp4.farm.idt.net> David Freitag, dovidf_at_net2phone.com writes:
>>What is the impact or usage of use_ism (related to shared memory) for
>>Oracle. Right now it fails for us on Solaris 2.6.
>
>Fails in what sense? If you set USE_ISM = TRUE on a system that doesn't
>support ISM (e.g., any Ultra system), Oracle simply won't use ISM; it
>should still start and run fine. (Not that I've tried it under Solaris 2.6.)

Well, since the problem I had was on an Ultra-2 under Solaris 2.6, this really makes me wonder what the problem is. I suspect you are wrong about Oracle simply not using ISM.

>ISM (intimate shared memory) is a type of shared memory that stays resident
>in RAM at all times. As such, it's a Good Thing in many cases, because your
>SGA won't get swapped out. However, it effectively reduces the amount of
>RAM available to non-RDBMS processes, so if you run a lot of other processes
>on your system, they may perform poorly with this parameter set.

Couldn't get the SGA above 50M with default USE_ISM. 512M real mem.

>Copyright 1998 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!