Accessing another user's table without qualifying table name with the owner-name

From: Atul Deshmukh <atul_at_emessages.com>
Date: 1998/03/20

How is it posssible to access another user's table without qualifying table name with the owner-name.

eg.
there's a user "User1" that has the table "Table1". Now, if there's another user "User2" that needs access to User1.Table1 ... how can it be accomplished?

One of the ways would be to create a public synonym for User1.Table1 and then grant access to that synonym for "User2". Using this scheme, "User2" can issue an SQL statement such as "Select * from public_user1_table". But in our scenario that solution is not feasible since all other users will also be able to access this public synonym. Is there any other way to accomplish the same thing?

Is it posssible to define a user who has a default schema other than the schema with his own name?

I'm working on Oracle8 Enterprise Edition for WindowsNT.

Please respond in this newsgroup or directly to atul_at_emessages.com.

Thank you.
Atul Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST