Strange Oracle setup

From: Keith Matthews <keith_at_sweeney.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/20

As an inexperienced DBA I was recently asked to take on as DBA for a special application. While it does work it is set up in a rather strange way and I cannot see any reason for it.

Firstly the usual synonyms for dba_tablespaces, all_tables, all_indexes etc. are missing. So many of these are not present I suspect part of the setup script has never been run.

Secondly the main application tables are owned by system, and the tables (but not their indexes) are in the system tablespace.

Can anyone think of a reason why (beyond laziness or sheer cussedness) this should have been done.

Keith Matthews Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST