Decode inside cursor fails: PLS-00320

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1998/03/20

Why does the following cursor declaration fail?

DROP TABLE T1;
DROP TABLE T2;
CREATE TABLE T1 (A VARCHAR2(1));
CREATE TABLE T2 (A VARCHAR2(1));
DECLARE
   CURSOR C IS

     SELECT NULL FROM

( SELECT A
, DECODE(A,'X','0','1') "D" FROM T1) V1, T2 WHERE V1.A=T2.A;

BEGIN
  NULL;
END;
.
/

The above gives the following error in SQL Plus:

( SELECT A

        *
ERROR at line 4:
ORA-06550: line 4, column 9:
PLS-00320: the declaration of the type of this expression is incomplete or malformed

When I comment the decode line, it works fine. If I don't use the cursor declaration, and just pass the select to the server, it works fine. If the select is not part of a joined view, it works fine.

This is a greatly simplified version of a big select, but it all works except the decode.

I sure hope somebody can give me an answer to this.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance.

Steve Cosner