Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: <fnantes_at_usa.net>
Date: 1998/03/20

In article <6erli1$sab$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

        stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu
wrote:

> I think everyone should vote NO to the current CFV for the usenet
 newsgroup,
> comp.databases.oracle.server.java.

Me too.

> The reasons

 are this:

> 1. The only comments I can find to the RFD (Request For
 Discussion) are
> negative, suggesting that "server" be dropped from the
 name, and the group be
> named comp.databases.oracle.java. Each of these
 comments came from people who
> regularly participate in the

 comp.databases.oracle.* newsgroups. The only
> rebuttal to those comments is

from the proponent.

His point is that comp.database.oracle.server is already overloaded. So let's
split it, say comp.database.oracle.server.plsql, c.d.o.s.recovery, etc. If java in
the server will generate so much posting, as the proponent says, we can think
about a c.d.o.s.java.

Defending the
proposed newsgroup, Phil Bradley wrote "Java stored procedures and server
side Java using (using Oracle's server optimised) JDBC will be very
important. Oracle to it's credit has seen this and has done, in general,
the right thing.".

Notice the WILL BE. Looks like a marketing move for me.

> 2. Of the three proponents, it appears that two have never posted a
 newsgroup
> message, and the third does not participate in any oracle
 newsgroup
> discussions. (I used Deja News to determine this.)

Again, looks
like a marketing move.

> Without participating in discussions, I don't
 see how someone can really get a
> feel for the need for a new newsgroup.
 Searching Deja News again, I can find
> no article from anyone asking for a

 new oracle/java newsgroup. I just don't
> see the need for a new newsgroup

 at this time, and I, too, feel that if a
> group is to be created, it should

be named comp.databases.oracle.java.

Java is a subject that deserves a
separate newsgroup, but not under
comp.databases.oracle.server. The time
will show if Java stored procedures is
a hot subject. Using the same
argument one can defend the creation on comp.databases.oracle.server.plsql,
why not?

 Internet Discussion ==-----
> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering

 spam-free web-based newsreading

I agree, vote NO to
comp.databases.oracle.server.java. It should be comp.databases.oracle.java.
--Fernando N. de Souza
Oracle DBA