Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Phil Bradley <pbradley_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1998/03/20

Steve

Oracle has 60% of the corporate database server market. Java is being rapidly adopted by coporations to develop business functionality. I saw that 11% of all corporations (surveyed) in the USA adopted Java for the first time in Q4 97. The total number of corporations using Java went from 22% to 33% in just one quarter. This is a phenomenal statistic. Some may be developing web applets but I believe most are using Java (I have no statistics to back this up) to develop function that they can redeploy or simultaneuosly deploy at different places in a heterogeous environment. Java stored procedures and server side Java using (using Oracle's server optimised) JDBC will be very important. Oracle to it's credit has seen this and has done, in general, the right thing.

From a professional perspective, if I was only allowed one vote ever for a news group, then I would vote for this one. And BTW I have already voted yes.

And also BTW the 'server' in the name is what its all about. The points you raise are really missing the point.

Phil Bradley