Re: Usefulness of Platinum's Postings

From: <fnantes_at_usa.net>
Date: 1998/03/20

In article <6erml4$tgm$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

        thomasj_at_platinum.com wrote:

> This message is in response to the posting made by Mr. Billy Verreynne
 (text
> of post is included below). We at Platinum do not want to be viewed
 as a
> nuisance or as in the business of spamming. Platinum does not believe
 the
> postings I have made are spam (defined as non-relevant or off-topic
 mass
> e-mailing or postings). Each posting has been to highlight a Platinum
 tool
> that can help with a problem that was already posted to the mailing
list.

How do you know? What's your Oracle experience (DBA, Developer, etc)? Please, the next time you send a post list the specific problem that the product
solves and how. Preferably, send the post as a reply to someone's question
and explain in detail the steps to solve the problem.

This is a
TECHNICAL newsgroup, NO MARKETING please. If you want to have a technical
staff participating in the group, that's Ok, will help. There are some
employees of Oracle Corporation that participate regularly in the newsgroup.
As Billy mentioned, Platinum products are good, if you want to make a point
in this newgroup, have some technicians participating and making Platinum
looking good.

> Although some of comp.databases.oracle.server users may know
 all about our
> tools, many do not and we truly do believe that this is a
 service to the
> newsgroup. If you do not like the postings it is very easy
 to ignore them and
> move to the next posting.

This is the point, I have
seen posts of satisfied customers of Platinum recommending the products. But
the contents of the posting must be technical , how can I ignore a posting
if I don't know what's in it? That's why there are rules for using each
newsgroup. When I open a posting, I expect to find some technical
information in it, not a sales text saying how good Platinum products are.

> However, I would like to conduct a survey of the
 comp.databases.oracle.server
> newsgroup. Please respond to this posting with
 your opinion as to the
> usefulness of the Platinum postings. Please respond
directly to my e-mail

Sorry, I'll use the newsgroup. Most of the theads is this group are started by
someone with a problem or question. If you can help with the solution, post a
reply. It's OK that you want to sell your product but this newsgroup is not the
place for this kind of message.

 address (not to the newsgroup): my e-mail address is thomasj_at_platinum.com. If
> the majority of the folks on the list do not want us to participate by
 posting
> software-related solutions to problems, then of course, we will
 concede to the
> will of the majority.
>
> Sincerely,
> Janis Thomas