Re: Oracle performance on Windows NT - is it really so bad?!

From: Scott Patterson <swpatter_at_wwa.com>
Date: 1998/03/20

On 16 Mar 1998 04:52:58 GMT, "Cam White" <info_at_revealnet.com> wrote:

>You might want to try downloading the 15-Day Trial Version of the Oracle
>Administration Knowledge Base fornm http://www.revealnet.com
>
>It has several topics on Windows NT installation, configuration, tuning and
>troubleshooting.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Cam White
>RevealNet, Inc.
>
>aroesch <aroesch_at_raie.de> wrote in article <35092E95.61AFCC02_at_raie.de>...
>> We migrated our Oracle database to Windows NT to get a hand on
>> performance behaviour. We figured out that even on a $20K Intel Server
>> with 256 MB RAM Oracle seems to be terribly slow!
>>
>> Is this what the world expierences using NT as a backend operating
>> system - or are we just to dump to install Oracle on NT right? By the
>> way, a comparisson with an old $3K Sun Sparc with 128 MB RAM reveiled
>> that this machine is yet faster than NT!
>>
>> Any commnets to this?

I can relate to your performance problems however I think

The real issue is a matter of how many disk drives are on the machine. Oracle wants a many as possible, and you need to separate certain datafiles and tablespaces. Indexes from Tables, multiple redo log groups, etc. Export your data and reimport your data to take care of any fragmentation problems and non contigious extents.

We are running a database on an NT Server Pentium Pro Dual 125 mg ram I think that the real issue of peformance will come down to placing the datafiles and table spaces on different physical drives to cut down on the IO, Received on Fri Mar 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST