Re: Changing Oracle 7 Character Set

From: Andrew Protasov <protasov_at_percombank.kiev.ua>
Date: 1998/03/20

Hi Michael,

I tried this in Oracle 7.1, 7.2. I don't know about 7.3.

  1. Make full cold backup of your database.
  2. Connect internal.
  3. Startup database.
  4. Check, that WE8ISO8859P1 is supported character set by your Oracle version.
  5. Execute this very carefully:

update sys.props$
set value$='WE8ISO8859P1'
where name='NLS_CHARACTERSET';