Usefulness of Platinum's Postings

From: <thomasj_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1998/03/19

This message is in response to the posting made by Mr. Billy Verreynne (text of post is included below). We at Platinum do not want to be viewed as a nuisance or as in the business of spamming. Platinum does not believe the postings I have made are spam (defined as non-relevant or off-topic mass e-mailing or postings). Each posting has been to highlight a Platinum tool that can help with a problem that was already posted to the mailing list. Although some of comp.databases.oracle.server users may know all about our tools, many do not and we truly do believe that this is a service to the newsgroup. If you do not like the postings it is very easy to ignore them and move to the next posting.

However, I would like to conduct a survey of the comp.databases.oracle.server newsgroup. Please respond to this posting with your opinion as to the usefulness of the Platinum postings. Please respond directly to my e-mail address (not to the newsgroup): my e-mail address is thomasj_at_platinum.com. If the majority of the folks on the list do not want us to participate by posting software-related solutions to problems, then of course, we will concede to the will of the majority.

Sincerely,
Janis Thomas
Platinum Technology, Inc.

Text of Mr. Verreynne's post follows:

If you can not contribute to the discussion or assist with problems, then I suggest you just shut up. I'm getting sick of you replying to postings using the same damn stupid advert for your tools.

We are using Platinum Tools and they are not bad. Just a pity that people like you make Platinum look so unprofessional by resorting to this form of spamming/advertising on usenet. And what really gets me is that every add you place has the Deja News spam free footer on it. Maybe I should have a word with Deja News about your abuse of their service?

Billy Verreynne
Verreynne Software Labs
Johannesburg, South Africa