Copying existing instance to create a new instance

From: Sean Phillips <seanphil_at_cyberramp.net>
Date: 1998/03/18

Hello Guru's,

I have been trying to make a new copy of my 'DEV' instance called 'TEST' on an HP-UX machine. I have done the following:

  1. copied all my datafiles to proper new locations
  2. SVRMGRL> alter database backup controlfile to trace ;
  3. modified my trace file (called create_TEST.sql) , and changed all references of DEV to TEST
  4. modified initTEST.ora and configTEST.ora files -- they now have correct parameters
  5. shutdown the DEV instance
  6. run oraenv to change ORACLE_SID to TEST
  7. SVRMGRL> connect internal
    • here I receive a message that says connected to idle instance ---
  8. SVRMGRL> @create_TEST.sql

When I run this script to create the controlfiles for TEST, the scripts blows huge chunks. There is a message about 'cannot start already-running Oracle'. Oracle is not running -- no other instance is running, the listener is stopped, the concmgr is stopped, yet I get that message. HELP!!!

Has anyone else run into these kinds of problems while trying to copy an instance? I am pretty certain that my script to create the new instance is correct. Any hints will greatly appreciated. Received on Wed Mar 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST