Re: Oracle configurations on NT

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/18

Piotr Kolodziej wrote in message <6eoe50$1re$1_at_sunrise.pg.gda.pl>...
>>I have three questions.
>>Is it posible to run parallel server on NT? (I don't think so)
>
>Probably not yet.
>You have to have NT Cluster Server & Oracle Parallel Server that
>supports it. Currently NT Cluster supports two machine cluster
>sharing disks.

Oracle Parallel Server -does- work on NT clusters. There is a NT cluster with over 200 machines at some FX company in the States. They get more horsepower from it than you would from a supercomputer. IBM ran a NT cluster last year with DB2 and did a billion OLTP transactions in 24 hours.

>>Is it possible to run multithreaded server on NT?
>
>No.
>But it has no reason to run it.
>NT natively supports threads and Oracle on NT uses it.
>So you have one oracle process per instance which has many threads:
>PMON, SMON, /etc and threads similiar to user processes in UNIX.
>Advantages are obvious --- for example memory savings.

MTS is included with Oracle 8 for NT.

>If NT was a bit more stable it would be great solution.

And if the sky fell we will all be wearing blue hats. I have seen NT configurations as stable, if not more stable, than any 24x7 Unix configuration. If any of you want to argue it, please do it in alt.dev.null.

>>Is it possible to have more databases on one NT machine?
>
>Yes. It is possible to run multiple instaces.
>But you'd better not mixing RDBMS versions.

And don't mix your whiskeys either...

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Mar 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST