Re: Q:Table Fragmentation. How do I reduce it?

From: Jan Coekelberghs <jan.coekelberghs_at_ping.be>
Date: 1998/03/18

On 17 Mar 1998 11:43:49 GMT, GreMa_at_t-online.de (Matthias Gresz) wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:10:45 +0800, Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au> wrote:
>
>Hi Connor,
>why fragmentation does not affect performance? Everybody, every book claims that fragmantation is a performance penalty.

Not the good DBA's and not the good books.

From "Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration" :

"Extents are often blamed for performance problems; however, their impact on performance is minimal and can be completely avoided. In fact, careful use of extents can improve your response time by distributing your I/O operations across multiple devices...".

You should also read the white papers by Craig Shallahamer and Cary Millsap.

Jan Received on Wed Mar 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST