Oracle 7.3.2 Architecture

From: Michael Reeves <mreeves_at_yourcall.com>
Date: 1998/03/17

I have 2 questions dealing with the design and layout of an Oracle 7.3.2 database. If I could get some direction from anyone, it would be greatly appreciated.

Environment:
Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.
Oracle WorkGroup Server Version 7.3.2.3.1 for Windows NT Micron Dual (300mhz chip) machine with 512 mg RAM & 5 Mirrored disks sets (10 disks total with a hardware RAID mirroring disks)

1:) We will have a number of applications accessing our database. We will have an accounting, a help desk, a reservation system, and a sales application running together. What is the easiest layout. Do we need to have multiple instances, each running their own application or should we just have one instance. The traffic should not be very heavy, (6 people in accounting, 10 people in the help desk app., 12 people in reservations, and 12 people in the sales app.) and all of the applications will need to share data.

2:) I have loaded Oracle onto our server. I have run the following scripts: catalog.sql, catproc.sql, smpupg01.sql, and cre.sql. When I attempt to change the SID, I can not connect to the database again. I get the following error: ORA-09352: Windows 32-bit Two-Task driver unable to spawn new Oracle task. I am attempting to change the SID via the registry editor from: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, ORACLE, ORACLE_SID:REG_EXPAND-SZ:ORCL to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, ORACLE, ORACLE_SID:REG_EXPAND-SZ:CA. Am I missing a fundamental step or do I need to leave the SID as ORCL?

3:) Does anyone know of a good Oracle Server book specifically written for Windows NT?

I really appreciate anyone's response.

Gratefully
Michael Reeves
mreeves_at_yourcall.com Received on Tue Mar 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST