Re: Q:Table Fragmentation. How do I reduce it?

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/17

Rao Uppuluri wrote:
>> I have a table(s) with lot of extents allocated to it. These extents are
small extents. The extents allocated are not all next to each other. Some are but not all. If I drop the table and recreate it, do I get a lot of "free space fragmentation"? <<

You can reduce future fragmentation by setting the next extent equal to the initial extent with the pctincrease set to zero for each object (table or index) in the tablespace after first choosing a limited set of sizes to use for all objects in the tablespace. Very large objects should be kept totally separate from very small objects. Large and small are relative terms depending on your database's objects sizes. We use this type of storage plan and it has really helped. We have picked a different set of sizes for each database (3 production and about 6 test systems, but the test instances for the same production system are the same to keep promoting object code simple)

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Tue Mar 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST