Tricky SQL Problem: Top "n" of queried records

From: <rtgraf_at_sintec.de>
Date: 1998/03/17

How can I restrict the result of a SQL query to, say, the top 10 regarding some defined order criteria, e.g.

SELECT deptno, sum(salary) FROM emp
GROUP BY deptno
<ONLY the top 3 w/regards to sum(salary)>;

I do *not* want the client application to fetch only the first three records, I want the Server to retrieve exactly these rows.

I have a rather quirky solution using a multiply nested subquery (one nesting level per "n" in the topic!)

The problem is in fact a general one and I seem to have read a solution somewhere but forgot the source ;-(