Re: 24x7 database

From: <niblue_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/03/17

I'd re-iterate Steve's comments - as an Oracle consultant I've been to far too many sites where people have tried to put in place a "clever" backup scenario (hot backups, no downtime etc) and have got themselves into a situation where their database is either unrecoverable, or will take ages to recover.

SAP is a complex bag of shit as well (in database terms at least), so you will need to do a lot of work and testing before going down this route. When putting in place backup scenaries don't addressing recovery (timescales etc), and do recovery testing frequently

People often make the mistake of going 24x7 without adequate staff and facilities - make sure it doesn't happen to you, as I've seen people lose their jobs when these things go wrong.

---Nile