Re: SCO Oracle - Linux - JDBC - shmget() error

From: Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan_at_Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
Date: 1998/03/17

Konstantin Kivi wrote:

> Hi John!
> John Meijer <meijer_at_pathcom.com> wrote:
> > Hi:

> > I'm running SCO Oracle 7.3 on Linux using iBCS. The database is up,
> > and the listener for SQL*Net is monitoring Port 1521.

> > With JDBC from Oracle, using the thin client, I am trying to connect
> > to the database with the following error:

> > Connecting to jdbc:oracle:thin:userid/passwd_at_192.168.1.1:1521:orcl
> > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> > AT&T System V/386 Error: 2: No such file or directory

[skipped]

> > Anyway, it seems the shmget() fails causing JDBC to not have access
> > to the database. Any ideas for a fix to this problem?

You need to increase number of shred memory. I don't knnow, how it's duing on Linux, but on FreeBSD this is SHM* parameters in kernel.

SHMMAX=20000000 (7 zero-s)
SHMSEM=100 is work for me. (with Oracle 7.3)

SHMMAX is maximal area of shared memory, 100 is number of semaphores

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto:Ruslan_at_Shevchenko.Kiev.UA