Remote access via www instead of dial-up

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

I was asked a question today about accessing 7.2.3 and/or 7.3.3 via the internet. I am not a net person and was hoping someone oout there is more knowledgable in this area. Here is the situation:

We dial a national network via normal modem access using a terminal emulator program like hyperterm that comes with Win95, Procomm, etc... Once logged on it allows up to telnet into our network.

This service is expensive so it may be dropped this year. I was asked if there is any way to reach our system via the internet. I guessed that all you would need is some type of telnet emulation software, so the question becomes do most ISP provides provide this type of service access?

AOL has a keyword 'telnet' that I did not think to check until after I started this posting, but many of the developers I work with use a different access provider like IBM, MCI, Gateway.com, etc...

Is anyone out there dialing into work this way? I am looking for a little guidence for my research and test. We are not interested in Oracle Web server type solutions where the application has to be regenerated into html/java etc... at this time. We are still character based.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Mon Mar 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST