Re: Newbie Question RE: cold backup

From: <joseph_testa_at_aep.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

In article <350be671.853481181_at_news.istar.ca>,   rprendin_at_magi.com (Robert Prendin) wrote:

> Yes, be certain you are backing up all the files including the
> control files, redo-logs, etc....
> What I would suggest is obviously testing this as you are about to do,
> but also take full database export prior to doing your file copies
> then proceed by coping all your files to tape including the export
> file of the full database. Also keep this export file on-line so that
> tables accidentally dropped in the development environment can be
> restrored in no time at all and you could, if required, re-build the
> entire database with this export file.
>
> Good Luck , Robert Prendin

Just a note hear, Robert is right make sure backup the control file, but be careful when doing a restore, if you want to do an incomplete recovery from your last backup, DONT RESTORE YOUR CONTROL FILES FROM BACKUP. Otherwise you wont be able to roll forward, I learned this early on in my DBA career. The control file(s) are what maintains the SCN(system change number) and thats how the db can tell when a tablespace or datafile needs recovery(the SCN in the header of the datafile doesnt match the SCN in the control file). Just a caveat you should think about when you have to do recovery.

joe

http://www.oracle-dba.com