Re: SCO Oracle - Linux - JDBC - shmget() error

From: Bob Withers <Bob.Withers_at_mci.com>
Date: 1998/03/16

In article <EpstL4.1K8.0.debian_at_sirena.rinet.ru>, konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru says...
> Hi John!
> John Meijer <meijer_at_pathcom.com> wrote:
> > Hi:

> > I'm running SCO Oracle 7.3 on Linux using iBCS. The database is up,
> > and the listener for SQL*Net is monitoring Port 1521.

> > With JDBC from Oracle, using the thin client, I am trying to connect
> > to the database with the following error:

> > Connecting to jdbc:oracle:thin:userid/passwd_at_192.168.1.1:1521:orcl
> > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
> > AT&T System V/386 Error: 2: No such file or directory

> > I guess the last three lines of error messages occur from bottom
> > to top (i.e. the "No such file.." error is the root cause), and
> > suspect that since I am running a SCO version under Linux, some
> > part of my directory structure is missing that is there under SCO.
> You are not right. No such file or dir.. is a standard
> message for shmget to say that it cannot get shared memory
> segment because of wron identifier. Check if your db
> is accessible at all (use sqlplus). Check listener
> configuration - (use sqlplus). Make sure you have set
> ORACLE_SID.
>
> > Anyway, it seems the shmget() fails causing JDBC to not have access
> > to the database. Any ideas for a fix to this problem?
> > --John.
> I don't no much about jdbc, but I was able
> to connect to my Linux-iBCS-Oracle-for-Sco
> both directly and via sqlnet, even from another machine.

Also make sure that module $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle is owned by user oracle and marked to run setuid owner.

I have connected to an SCO Oracle running on Linux using JDBC (both with and without SQL*Net) and it works just fine.

Bob Received on Mon Mar 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CST