Using database links to connect to a local database

From: Dick Willis <rmw_at_synchrony.com>
Date: 1998/03/15

I am trying to write a general-purpose SQL string to fetch data from tables that may or may not be
located on remote databases. Each database has links defined that will point to the other databases and to itself.

A user will execute this general-purpose query while connected to any database in the network. The intent was to have the data that was present on the local database fetched with exactly the same syntax as data fetched from remote databases, i.e. with a database link.

Whenever I reference the local database in my SQL string, I receive the error:
  ORA-2085 database link TREND02.World connects to TREND.WORLD.

I have defined the link TREND02 to be the local database. What is TREND? (local instance is called TRND (not TREND), but INTERNAL does have the password TREND, can't think of other places where TREND is used) and, more importantly, how do I construct a database link to the local database so that my general-purpose query can be used?

--

Dick Willis, Senior Engineer
Synchrony Industrial Controls, Inc.

--