PO Lite index question

From: Schoeneck Howell <skhowell_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1998/03/14

I'm looking at PO Lite (ver 3.0.5.x) as a replacement DB engine for an in-house strategic support system we distribute on CD. In trying to evaluate the differences, I set up a new database, and moved a few of our existing data files into tables in the DB, with indexes created for location and date code columns on each table. No problem so far. No errors, and the structures were visible in the Navigator (although I never did get to browse the data from the larger table via the Navigator, after several minutes of watching the drive light flash with no response coming to the screen, I aborted the operation).

Running a select from the larger table in the test set (20,000 rows) and specifying a location code, took 4 minutes to return the 77 corresponding rows. The index for this table consisted of the location code and date code, in that order. I would have to guess that the index was not used by PO Lite in running that query. Did I make a mistake here? I hope that Lite is capable of better performance.

skhowell @ earthlink . net

showell_at_bop.gov