Re: MS SQL Serveror ORACLE?

From: John Spackman <dont_at_spamme.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/14

We too are fed up with MS SQL crashing and nuking our database almost every week. We have a 10Gb database, one table has >85million rows. If you hammer the server then it simply starts reading and writing the wrong pages on the disk and you end up with a corrupt database. The solution is to spend three days with the users staring at the ceiling while you transfer row by row into a new database and recreate the indecies. MS admit they have problems with large table support. Oracle 8 eval arrives Monday am, porting starts immediately.

Oh and the query optimiser is a joke too. We have some big queries, and on one day a query will fly, the next day it crawls like a dog, even if nothing has changed. The solution is to tear the queries up into temporary tables, work out and enforce a good query plan.

I hate it I hate it I hate it (and now it's personal!)

John