Re: Oracle is painfully slow when doing massive INSERTs

From: Morten Myrvold <someone_at_somwehere.no>
Date: 1998/03/13

Joel Garry wrote in message <6e78ev$sdj$1_at_pebble.ml.org>... (...)

>Do you have indexes? Have you done this without them, rebuilding
afterwards?
Yes, there were indices. Tried removing them (leaving only PKEYS and FKEYS). This improved overall performance quite a bit... Then, I removed the PKEYS and FKEYS as well - WOW! another performance increase (now I'm down to 5-6hrs as comp'd to 22++hrs with all indices present)... But, I'd really like to have the PKEY/FKEY construction present as I'm using this to verify all relations. Our source database (brand X) has proven to contain some inconsistencies, so you see.... I could, of course, do a lot of SELECT's to check the integrity of the source DB, but without the indices (remember, those were deleted...), this could take quite some time....

>How big is your SGA? Perhaps it is
>too big causing swapping? Are all your Oracle files on one disk?
Tried changing the SGA size (using the Oracle recommendation for large DB's), but this did very little for me.. ;-) Received on Fri Mar 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CST