Re: Database Link

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/13

rljustice_at_techsoft.com wrote:
>I am tring to create a database link between
>machine.

> using 'KOITEST'
>user_tables_at_testlink;
>ORA-02085: database link TESTLINK.WORLD connects to ORACLE.WORLD

It looks like you have GLOBAL_NAMES=TRUE specified in the init.ora file for the first database (the one in which the dblink is defined). This setting enforces a requirement for the dblink name to match the target database name.

You have three choices:

  1. Change the GLOBAL_NAMES parameter to FALSE to remove the name checking.
  2. Change the name of your dblink to ORACLE to match the target database name. This may not work if you have also named the first database ORACLE. (The global names scheme wants each database to have a distinct name.)
  3. Change the name of the target database to match your dblink name. A poor choice, since TESTLINK isn't very meaningful as a database name.

Of these, #1 certainly is the easiest. Note, however, that revising your database names and imposing a scheme where the rule *could* be enforced has a lot of virtue if you are serious about using distributed databases.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.