Re: Reorg of Financials 10 on Oracle 7

From: <niblue_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/03/13

Gillian,

Oracle Financials databases tend to be quite complex, so it's best to look at things in two ways - once for the database as a whole, and once for individual, critical objects.

A lot depends on which modules you have implemented - for General Ledger the important aspects tend to be indexing of GL_CODE_COMBINATIONS (Many people over index this table) and fragmentation of GL_JE_LINES and GL_BALANCES. For Payables AP_INVOICE_DISTRIBUTIONS_ALL is usually important for performance purposes.

The recommendations for init.ora parameters in the install guide are a reasonable starting point, but it's usually beneficial to increase the buffers, sort area size and shared pool. Financials tends to cause a lot of redo activity, so the logs should be quite large - especially if archive logging is being used. Personally I never do an install with less than 4 mirrored 10MB logs - more when archive logging.

Using export/import to defragment an Financials install is a good technique, but it can take quite some time - if you have a large install the import can easilty take a full day or more to run. Even for a small system it takes time, due the quantity of PL/SQL source in the database.

To get good performance from Financials you really need a lot of disks on your server - I have 20 mirrored drives on my production machine. If you can, keep SYSTEM, redo's, rollback and temp tablespaces seperated from each other. Also the database and index tablespaces for the Application Object Library application get lots of hits. I also seperate the GL data and index tablespaces from all the rest, although the reasons for that are primarily due to my own install.

Anyway, concentrate on fragmentation (both free space and object), along with redo activity and file placement as a starting point. Also check the init.ora settings and the free memory and swap activity on your server. Only when all those are optimal would I spend time looking into the details of the performance views.

I've never found a good Oracle Financials book for DBA's, but there are some good general DBA and perfomance books out there.

Good luck.
Regards
Steve Graham