Re: Archive mode

From: Steve Emmett <semmett_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/03/13

Joel Garry wrote:

> In article <01bd4e01$8a52fbf0$21021ec0_at_ntcowell>,
> Brad <someone_at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> >We have an Oracle Workgroup Server running on WinNT 4.0. I need to set it
> >up in archive mode so that I can do a partial backup of the database once a
> >week. I can get it to show that it will automatically archive, but it
> >still says the database is in NO ARCHIVELOG mode. Any ideas?
>
> Sounds like you need to create the database in archivelog mode. If you didn't
> create it that way, you can't change to it. I know all the docs say otherwise,
> but hey, this is usenet. Either that or ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG while

It is NOT a requirement to CREATE a database in archivelog mode if you eventually want to use it in that mode. You can switch between archiving and not archiving ANYTIME either through changing the appropriate init.ora parameter (archive_log_start = true|false) and restarting the instance OR using Alter database archivelog as you mentioned above.

--

Steve

              Steve Emmett
"A mind that is stretched to a new idea
 never returns to its original dimension"