Re: Database Design Problem...

From: Daniel Pasto <pasto_at_ssga.ssb.com>
Date: 1998/03/13

Jimmy (c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk) wrote:
> However, one day, a person ask me, "Why you put book_id in the table
> BOOK? book_name is unique all the time, why you create additional column
> (book_id) in table BOOK? Moreover, I don't know which book is from the
> table ORDER since it contains book_id only. book_id is meaningless. Why
> don't you delete the book_id column in table BOOK and replace book_id
> with book_name in table ORDER?"

I'll go with the others and say to use the ID and to add a seperate table for authors and to cross reference authors and books, but also:

If you are likely to have people like that looking at the database, how about creating a view to build what he wants while keeping the better design for the actual data?

Dan Received on Fri Mar 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CST